A. Presbytery Council: The Presbytery Council shall be responsible for supervising and coordinating the total program of the presbytery, and shall be the agency primarily responsible for long-range planning. The Presbytery Council shall consist of the moderator, vice moderator, stated clerk-treasurer, pastor host for the next regular session of presbytery, chairperson of the Permanent Task Force on Ordained Clergy and chairpersons of boards and standing committees. The authority of the council is that of an executive board and not that of an ecclesiastical commission. Between meetings of the presbytery it may interpret the presbyter’s policy decisions and make necessary program and budget adjustments, but it may not make judicial decisions for the presbytery as an ecclesiastical commission is empowered to do. The council shall be directly responsible to the presbytery.
The Presbytery Council has the responsibility to do the following:
- Review the work of all boards and committees of the presbytery;
- Plan the program and agenda for each session of the presbytery;
- Approve the travel expenses for commissioners to General Assembly, Youth Advisory Delegates to General Assembly, delegates to Mission Synod, and members of all boards and standing committees;
- Designate a place of meeting for the presbytery, when the presbytery has not selected one;
- Cultivate and promote the development and growth of the presbytery both spiritual and material; and
- Engage in study and planning in order to recommend goals, objectives, programs, actions and priorities to the presbytery.
- No one individual, representing a single agency, may serve on the Presbytery Council for a time of more than nine (9) consecutive years.
- Present to the September session of presbytery nominations for all vacancies on all permanent boards and standing committees, as well as the requisite number of delegates to Mission Synod and commissioners to the General Assembly;
- Secure agreement from any person whose name is to be placed in nomination;
- Fill, when directed to do so by the moderator, all vacancies on boards and standing committees that occur through the year with appointees who will serve until the presbytery meets and elects new members; and
- Replace, when directed to do so by the moderator, any member of a board or standing committee who has not attended or provided an excuse for at least fifty percent of the meetings during the year with appointees who will serve until the presbytery meets and elects new members. From the "Standing Rules of Trinity Presbytery"